Whether you’ve managed to swipe an early season springer or haven’t yet found time to wet your line, we’ve got 10 top tips that may well help you on your way to spring fishing success.
Top 10 Tips for Spring Salmon Fishing
1. A decent pair of waders and boots together with a wading jacket will not only keep you dry and comfortable but you’ll also be able to carry all tackle essentials while you’re fishing. Checkout our range of Waders and take a look at the Wading Jackets we have available.
2. Many Spring mornings can be cold and crisp therefore a set of thermals and mid layers are important to keep warm in the water.
4. Always refresh your leader material at the beginning of a new season.
5. To ensure the best hook hold make sure all your hooks are strong and sharp.
6. The depth you fish your fly in spring is critical so have a varied selection of sink tips, sinking shooting heads and skagit lines so you can get the fly down.Checkout our Scientific Anglers and Rio Tips and Lines.
7. As the fish will be holding deep in the colder water a good selection of tube flies, coneheads and large doubles is ideal in the spring. Choosing the right flies will improve your chances dramatically. We have a massive selection of flies on our website – take a look here.
8. Vary the speed you fish the fly by either casting at different angles or stripping the fly.
9. Cover as much water as possible. After winter floods, pools and holding places will have changed.
10. Consider the 5 year average of every salmon beat, even if some were lacking in numbers last year they could well provide success this spring.